As someone with absolutely zero sense of direction, I need all the help I can get. I’ve created some maps at maps.google.com, and was anxious to use these saved locations. I downloaded the Chrome browser to my iPhone so I could see my saved maps (only way I know how…if you know otherwise, please leave a comment).
Getting to my maps via Chrome didn’t feel convenient enough so I started creating Saved Locations directly on the iPhone. Here’s how I’m doing it. If you know of a better way, please leave a comment (I know about tapping and holding down the map pin, but I ended up saving addresses I didn’t want).
Create Saved Locations
On iPhone and inside Google Maps app:
- Search for desired address. Map will appear with location name at the bottom.
- Tap location at the bottom and tap Save. Star turns gold when saved.
Now when I want to go somewhere and need voice commands:
- Tap the Profile icon in the Google Maps app. You’ll see all your Saved Locations listed under Home/Work in the “Recently Saved and Shared” section.
- Tap desired location, then tap travel time to display your current location along with where you’re going.
- Tap travel time again then, tap Start.
When I’m headed back home, I click the up/down arrows for reverse directions. Nice! I don’t see how to describe the locations, but at least now I’ll have driving directions a tap or two away.
UPDATE: I’ve figured out how to add location name (description) to a saved map. When I search for a location, I add the business name to the search. Then when I click to save it, that name is there too! For example, I wanted to add my closest post office to maps. When I searched, I typed “Post Office, then the street address, city and state.” When I saved the directions, the words “Post Office” appeared with the address. Hope this makes sense.
Edit Saved Locations
You can edit, including delete, your saved locations using Maps history. To view your Maps history on the iPhone:
- Navigate to the Maps history page (My Profile , Settings , Maps history).
- Touch the Edit button in the upper right to enter editing mode.
- Touch the red minus sign next to the entry you wish to delete, and click Delete in the confirmation window.
- Once you’re done editing, click the checkmark icon in the top-right corner of the screen to exit out of editing mode.
Remember to let me know if you know some shortcuts.