I’ve set up various ways to quickly get to documents I work with a lot. One way is by adding folders to the Places bar (it’s the bar on the left of this dialog box (under Look in:) that appears when you click the Open toolbar button (or click Ctrl+O) inside your favorite software.
It’s easy to add more folders to this bar.
- Open Word XP or higher (or other Office software).
- Click the File menu, Open (or click Ctrl+O, or click the Open toolbar button). Browse to the folder you want added to the Places Bar, and select it.
- With the desired folder selected, click the Tools menu, Add to “My Places”. The folder you selected will appear in the Places menu (you might have to click the drop-down arrow to see it).
- Reorder the folder placement by right-clicking it and clicking Move Up until you get it to the desired position.
- Later, to remove a place, go back to where you started (e.g., if you were in Word when you created the folder, go back to Word), and press Ctrl+O to access the Open dialog box. Then right-click the folder and click Remove. If Remove is grayed out, you didn’t go back to where you started.