When you’re quoted in the media, you get instant credibility in the marketplace.
If you want more publicity, you could be going about it the wrong way. I train a lot of journalists, and here are some things I know for sure.
- Their absolute #1 pet peeve is receiving PR pitches, calls, books, etc., on topics that in no way fit what they do.
- They delete almost all email messages from PR people without reading them.
- They trash almost all (I want to say all) faxes without reading them.
- Spam filters that make them get permission to send you an email message get ignored, deleted. They then move on to the next expert.
- They’re way too busy to return phone calls (although their voicemail says they will).
So knowing all this, what can you do?
Do the work to make your Web site come up on the first two pages when they Google your expertise (mine does and I never paid one red cent to make it happen). I’ve written an ebook and conduct seminars on how to get found online.
How to create buzz about you and your business