My heart dropped when I thought I’d lost my latest changes to a Word document. All my tedious changes gone! I’d worked on this document using the Office Word app, but I’d also worked it on my computer. Here’s what I found out.
On the iPad, if you access your documents from Dropbox, use caution. When you open a document from different places and save it, or if two people change the same file at the same time, Dropbox won’t merge the changes. Instead, it’ll save the original file as well as a second version with the same name but is appended with “conflicted copy,” the name of the person or computer responsible, and the date the conflict occurred.
If this happens, go to your full Dropbox file structure to find the conflicted copy saved wherever you saved the original. You’ll need to open both copies and decide which one you want to keep.
What I’d Done Wrong
An app is not completely closed on the iPad until you do this.
- Double tap the Home button on the iPad, swipe right to find the open document on the app switcher (thumbnails of all the open apps).
- Find the app you want to completely close, and flick it up and off the iPad with one finger.
- Do this every time you finish working with the document on your iPad.
All is well, and I finished the work without losing anything. Whew!
Contact me directly to schedule a SKYPE session, Webinar, conference seminar, or a hands-on workshop. The focus of the training is improving your personal productivity while on the go.
Put the iPad to Work
- Explore important Settings you have unfortunately ignored.
- Organize an on-the-go toolkit of must-have apps and iStuff built for mobile productivity.
- Capture and organize notes and photos, file everything, and find it quickly when you need it.
- Create and edit documents using tap and flick shortcuts and Office apps you’re already used to.
- Sync the Safari browser and navigate with ease.
- And so much more!
Whether you want individual, customized training via SKYPE (or in person), a Webinar, a conference seminar, or a hands-on workshop, contact me directly to get started.
Let me know in comments if you have anything to add to this list. I’m a sucker for gadgets and gizmos that boost productivity.